Tuesday 18 October 2011

On the way home

Tuesday October 18, 2011

We checked out and the taxi was a little early so we left at 2:20 AM heading for the Athens airport. Not much traffic so no problem getting there. Got checked in and then waited for our flight. Talked to a passenger from Toronto. He had come for holiday, but the strike had shout down the port and so he did not get to go to the islands as planned. Overheard conversations of people leaving a day early because of a possible air traffic strike tomorrow. I guess we were just blessed not to have been affected by the strikes. The flight left on time and arrived in Amsterdam on time. We have still time for shopping. Mom has already purchased tulip bulbs. Hope to be able to plant them when we get home.

Mom's version

I couldn't sleep a bit. I was glad we had decided to keep our hotel room for one more night so we could relax before our early flight. Dad slept quietly and I lay with a hundred things going through my head. There were noisy protests out side, just two blocks down from our hotel so I wondered if still at 2:30 would there be crowds and traffic. Did we arrange for the taxi early enough? I didn't want anything stopping us from missing our flight. Notices had been posted in the hotel about a general strike on Wednesday and so I was glad we were getting out of Athens the day before. I have been amazed how through all the disruptions and confusion we have only been inconvenienced once through our whole trip. We have heard other stories of boats not being able to leave dock, over nights in airports because of controller strikes but luckily we were always a day ahead or behind the trouble. Thanks for all the prayers. Dad had assured me we had planned the departure well and just relax so I lay telling myself just relax, just relax. The Taxi driver arrived 15 minutes early. Yes! That worry overcome. I noticed as we sped through the narrow streets on the long 30 minute drive to the airport that the gas gauge warning light was on and the gauge was on empty. Oh Just what we need to run out of gas on the way to the airport! As I contemplated that I noticed the oil gauge was also at 0 so decided the gauges just didn't work. Okay so hopefully this cabbie filled up this morning. We were finally at the airport, found the right line to deposit our luggage and print boarding passes and soon were on the flight. I watched the lights of Athens disappear with mixed emotions, remembering the excitement of first seeing Athens from the air. At that time I wondered if all we had planned and hoped for would occur as planned. Now we were leaving having filled every dream, with a few bonuses. It really couldn't have been a better experience but Yeah!! we were going home to the familiar,peaceful, happy comfortable life of Lethbridge Alberta.

The flight was a little rough but nothing frightening and believe it or not I slept most of the way to Amsterdam. Time to relax as we have a five hour lay over. I already have my tulips in my backpack ready to bring some spring glory to our yard and remind me of fun times past.


Back to dad to finish this off.

The plane left on time from Amsterdam. We had a long flight back to Calgary. Not much sleeping. The sun was so bright, that we kept the window closed most of the time. We watched as we crossed Saskatchewan and into Alberta and on to Calgary. We landed only a couple of minutes late, then waited 15 or 20 minutes on the plane as we watched three planes land and two take off, using the runway we were waiting to cross to get to the airport. Then it was another 15 or 20 minutes waiting as the people ahead on us on the plane got off. Then another wait at customs and a secondary inspection to get our tulip bulbs approved. Then found our luggage (yay) and out. Colin was waiting for us and took us to his work place where we said "Hi" to Cynthia. Then we headed for Lethbridge. Boy the scenery was different that we have been used to for the past few weeks. We arrived home to a welcome sign hanging above the door and tomatoes still growing. I took Tyson with me to the garden to dig some potatoes and carrots to make supper. Picked some tomatoes out there as well. Ate supper. Garth and Amanda came by to say welcome home. Then we crashed as it had been about 26 hours since we had got that wake up call. It is good to be home.


No comments:

Post a Comment